OHIP+ provides more than 5,000 drug products at no cost for anyone age 24 years or younger who is not covered by a private plan. You don’t need to enrol — all you need is a health card number and an eligible prescription.
Who is covered?
You are covered by OHIP+ if you:
- are 24 years and under
- have OHIP coverage
- are not covered by a private plan
You do not have to enrol or register to access OHIP+ coverage. OHIP+ coverage will stop on your 25th birthday, or if you become covered by a private plan, but you may qualify for other financial help with prescription drug costs.
What is covered?
OHIP+ covers the cost of more than 5,000 drug products that are currently available through the
- antibiotics to treat infections
- inhalers for asthma
- various insulins, oral diabetic medications and diabetes test strips
- epinephrine injectable products (e.g. auto-injectors)
- drugs to treat arthritis, epilepsy and other chronic conditions
- medications to treat mental health conditions (e.g. antidepressants)
- attention deficit hyperactivity disorder (ADHD) drugs
- drugs to treat some childhood cancers and other rare conditions
- help to quit smoking:
- up to a year of pharmacist-assisted counselling (talk to your pharmacist or health care provider)
- drugs for treatment if you are age 18 years or older
Medications available through the Exceptional Access Program may also be covered if an individual qualifies.
How to get your medication
If you’re a parent...
If your child is 24 years old or under, is not covered by a private plan and needs a covered medication:
- Visit your child’s doctor, nurse practitioner, or DrugSmart's Virtual Clinic to get their prescription.
- Take their health card OR health card number to your DrugSmart Pharmacy – you don’t need a separate or special card. Your pharmacist may ask if your child is covered by a private plan.
- If your child is not covered by a private plan, the pharmacy will fill the prescription at no charge.
If you’re 24 years old or under...
If you need a covered medication and you are not covered by a private plan:
- Visit your doctor, nurse practitioner, or DrugSmart's Virtual Clinic to get your prescription.
- Take your health card OR health card number to your DrugSmart Pharmacy – you don’t need a separate or special card. Your pharmacist may ask if you are covered by a private plan.
- If you do not have a private plan, the pharmacy will fill your prescription at no charge.
How does OHIP+ affect other coverage?
If you have a private plan you are not eligible for OHIP+.
Trillium Drug Program
If you have coverage through a private plan, but your household still has significant out-of-pocket costs, you can apply for additional financial support through the Trillium Drug Program.
Ontario Works, Ontario Disability Support Program, Long-Term Care, Home Care, Homes for Special Care, Community Homes for Opportunity
If you are enrolled in the Ontario Drug Benefit program through other eligibility criteria (Ontario Works, the Ontario Disability Support Program, Long-Term Care, Home Care, Homes for Special Care, or Community Homes for Opportunity), regardless of whether you are covered by a private plan, and need a covered medication:
- Visit your doctor, nurse practitioner, or DrugSmart's Virtual Clinic and get your prescription.
- Take your health card OR health card number to any pharmacy in Ontario – you don’t need a separate or special card.
- The pharmacy will fill your prescription at no charge.
This is a DrugSmart-certified service.
This service and its associated providers meet the standards set out in the DrugSmart Pharmacy Commitment to Care. All decisions and processes are guided by these five core principles:
- Transparent. Be open, be kind, be honest.
- Bright. Be positive, be creative, be innovative.
- Driven. Never be satisfied. Always strive to be better.
- Service above all else. Be a champion for your customers, your patients, and your colleagues.
- Pride. Be proud to #BeDrugSmart.
Should you ever have an experience with a DrugSmart team member or service that doesn't meet the above Commitment to Care standards, please let us know.
Call us toll-free
Send us an email
Chat with us live
Mon. to Fri. 9am to 5pm