Compounding for Prescribers
Compounding for Prescribers
Pharmaceutical compounding allows flexibility to customize treatments for clinical conditions and cosmetic needs according to the patient’s unique set of conditions, intolerances and concerns. DrugSmart is a full-service, NAPRA-compliant compounding pharmacy.
Benefits of customizing medication
- Adjust the dosage strength of a medication to meet patient requirements
- Develop unique combinations of active ingredients in physiologically relevant ratios
- Reformulate and modify the dosage form to better meet patient needs
- Exclude certain ingredients to eliminate adverse side effects and intolerance
- Address the challenges and limitations of manufactured products
How to prescribe a compounded medication
We are more than happy to consult with you regarding your patient’s prescription should you have any questions. You can email Erin Kofman, Lead Compounding Pharmacist at firstname.lastname@example.org or call DrugSmart Pharmacy at +1-833-DSP-CHAT (377-2428).
Please include the following information on the prescription:
- Patient name, DOB, address
- Best daytime phone number for patient
- Active drug name
- Format (i.e. Oral Tablet, Cream, Suppository, etc.)
- Directions for use
- Quantity to dispense
- Number of refills authorized
- Contact information for prescriber
Compounded dosage formats
The following forms can be created in our compounding pharmacy:
- Sublingual Troches
- Rapid Dissolving Tablets
- Transdermal Cream (various cream options available)
- Creams, Gels or Suppositories
- Oral Capsules
In addition to customizing the dosage and delivery type for your compounded prescription, our team can also help you choose the right dispensing option for your medication. These are a few of our most popular options:
- Tube with Optional Applicator. Ideal for the application of creams or gels.
- Pump Tops. We offer two versions of an easy-to-use pump for cream or gels.
- Topi-CLICK. This unique cream-dispensing method offers consistent dosing and limits cross contamination. Just turn the appropriate number of clicks, and apply to the desired area of the body. It’s especially helpful for those who are sight impaired and may not be able to accurately dispense the correct dose.
Where to send a compound prescription
We can receive prescriptions in a variety of secure ways. If your patient has a preference of which DrugSmart they use, you can find the contact information for all DrugSmart locations here. For free prescription delivery anywhere in Canada, you can always send the prescriptions to Virtual Pharmacy:
- Secure email: email@example.com
- Phone: +1-833-377-2428 (377-2428)
- Fax: +1-833-MY-DSP-RX (693-7779)
We can work with you on customizing a prescription template for your practice to help create efficiencies. Based on your area of specialty and your patients' needs, we can include your commonly prescribed compounds and commercial products and even pre-load your clinic information. Download a sample prescription template
In Canada, compounding of drugs is practised primarily by pharmacists as an integral part of their profession and is regulated by the respective regulatory authorities in each province/territory.
- The responsibility for risk arising from compounding activities is assumed by licensed healthcare professionals in the treatment and servicing of their patients/clients.
- All staff involved in compounding must possess an expertise commensurate with their responsibilities. Before they undertake non-sterile compounding, they must therefore always have received the proper orientation, training and a skills assessment concerning their work and the type of compounding to be done.
- The quality, purity, safety, efficacy and reproducibility of the final preparation depends upon, among other things, full compliance with compounding procedures. DrugSmart accomplishes this by having clear policies and procedures which are followed by all staff.
Our compounding operations are fully licensed and regulated by:
Get in touch
Send us a message to get started or if you have any questions. We're here to help!