Unlocking insights for personalized treatment in mental health and pain.
How it works
The Personalized Insights™ Cheek Swab Test Kit is sent directly to your home and provides all the tools you need to quickly and easily collect a sample to send to our Toronto lab for testing. You can do the test in less than 5 minutes in the comfort of your home, and a special postage-paid envelope is provided to return the sample to Inagene in the mail.
- Order your kit. Purchase your Inagene Personalized Insights™ Cheek Swab Kit online and receive it in the mail within 2 - 5 business days. Buy now
- Swab your cheek. Your kit has arrived! Follow the instructions enclosed to ensure you use the cheek swab kit as directed. Don’t forget to register your sample using the unique 14 digit Kit-Code provided in your kit.
- Send it to the lab. Use the prepaid package provided to send your cheek swab sample back to the Inagene lab; simply drop it in the mailbox or at any Canada Post outlet. We will send you an email notification that we have received your sample at our lab, and a final email when your results are ready to view through your secure Inagene account on the portal. Results are generally available within 7 days of receiving your sample at the lab.
- Review your results. Your results are ready! A DrugSmart pharmacist will review your results with you. You will also have online access so you can see what your Personalized Insights™ Report has to say about which medications you should avoid, and which are likely to work best for you, along with detailed recommendations for each medication.
- Share with your health team. Now that you have your results, share them with your doctor and/or healthcare team to discuss a personalized treatment strategy that works for you. Helpful tools and resources are provided in the Toolkit section of the Portal to facilitate sharing your results with members of your healthcare team.
What you'll receive in your kit:
What is pharmacogenetics?
Pharmacology (the study of drugs) + Genetics (the study of individual, inherited traits) = Pharmacogenetics
Most of us carry “gene variants” that can impact effectiveness of some medications (or put us at a higher risk of side effects). Drug-related "adverse events" (side effects and/or drug interactions) are the fourth leading cause of death in Canada, and cause one third of all hospitalizations. Pharmacogenetic testing may help prevent some of these hospitalizations by identifying patients who are at increased risk of severe side effects or drug-drug interactions because of gene variants they carry. Instead of relying on a “trial and error” approach, pharmacogenetics can help healthcare professionals and their patients find the safest and most effective drugs and doses for them, faster.
A recent study of over 3,000 patients with mood and anxiety disorders showed that individuals who underwent pharmacogenetic testing had 40% fewer emergency room visits and 58% fewer hospitalizations overall than those who did not.
How do my genes affect the way drugs work in my body? The body contains proteins called enzymes, once a medication is taken these act to break down or activate the drug so that it can take effect. Other proteins transport the drug where it needs to go (transporters) or let the drug into the cells (receptors) where it will take effect. Depending on what genetic variations a person has inherited, protein and enzyme activity will differ. For example, some people may inherit enzymes that are slower to break down drugs. This could mean a standard dose of drug remains in their body for a longer time, potentially leading to adverse effects. This is why knowing what genetic variations you have can be important: it can help healthcare professionals more accurately identify which drug (and what dose) will work best for each individual BEFORE they are treated, so they can feel better sooner with less medication "trial and error".
The benefits of pharmacogenetic testing last a lifetime.
The genes you were born with stay with you for life, and so do your Personalized Insights™ test results. You never have to repeat the test, and your results are updated regularly to reflect new data or new medications. Let pharmacogenetics be your GPS to help you arrive at the best treatment plan for YOU faster. Follow the clues provided by your genes with Inagene Personalized Insights™, and feel better, sooner. Click here to learn more about pharmacogenetics.